Canadian West Coast Voyages by Boutique Ship
Desolation Sound Tour
Explore one of Canada's top boating destinations
Available for August 2021
Experience one of Canada's Top Boating Destinations
Known as a boater’s paradise, Desolation Sound can only turly be explored by ship. Travelling in this spectacular area brings you through deep water passageways and to the edge of more remote regions along B.C.’s coast. Departing from Campbell River, join us as we explore the serene Discovery Islands, your gateway to unparalleled adventure.
From Quadra and Cortes Island to West Thurlow Island, each destination we visit showcases the beauty of the area, all of which is surrounded by BC’s famous coastal mountains. This scenic cruise brings you through calm, protected waters offering chances for hiking and kayaking along with the opportunity to view an abundance of wildlife.
You’ll pass by multiple provincial parks and communities that embrace the serenity of their locations. You’ll also have the opportunity to learn about the Indigenous cultures and peoples who have acted as stewards of the land for thousands of years.
Prepare for the ultimate cruising experience as you start your tour in Campbell River, known as the entrance to Desolation Sound. Get to know your fellow adventurers with a welcome party then set sail towards Quadra or Cortes Island where you can explore communities like Yaculta and Quathiaski Cove. Or head to Rebecca Spit for an afternoon of kayaking, beachcombing and fishing. Return to the ship in the evening for a dinner featuring fresh, local ingredients.
Awaken to the smell of fresh coffee and a delicious breakfast aboard the ship each morning. Prepare for two action packed days of exploring the local highlights within Desolation Sound. Meet other travellers in Refuge Cove and Squirrel Cove, lounge on the soft, tropic-like beaches of Savary Island, and experience the serene settings of places such as Prideaux Haven, Tenedo's Bay, Jervis Inlet and more with sea and land excursions. Finish each day, relaxing aboard the ship as you watch the sun set across the mountains.
Make the most of your last day on tour with a stop at the Nuyumbalees First Nations Cultural Center, wildlife viewing or other gentle excursions. Say your goodbyes to your new friends with a farewell lunch and return to Campbell River for your next journey.
For the 2021 season, both shared sightseeing tours and private charters are available of the Desolation Sound region. Contact one of our Personal Concierges for more information or Call us today for availability.
|Date||Price*||Trip Length||Start Port||End Port||Spots Available|
|August 23 - 26||$3299 | $3499 | $3799||3 Nights / 4 Days||Campbell River||Campbell River||Sold Out||August 27 - 30||$3299 | $3499 | $3799||3 Nights / 4 Days||Campbell River||Campbell River||Sold Out|
*Prices are all-inclusive and subject to a 5% federal tax. Fares are per person, based on double occupancy, and in Canadian dollars. For full-ship private charters, please contact us. Payment and cancellation policy is available online.
- Discover Campbell River, with countless outdoor activities such as fishing, hiking, diving, wildlife viewing and more.
- Quadra Island is a historic island where the tides of north and south Vancouver Island meet and is home to thriving Indigenous cultures.
- Explore the shipwreck at the edge of Squirrel Cove on Cortes Island and to visit the local Klahoose First Nations.
- Stroll along the white sandy beaches of Savary Island, a hidden gem on the coast with a warm climate providing excellent swimming opportunities.
- Visit locally owned marinas such as Lagoon Cove and Jennis Bay and meet travellers from all over.
- Kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding amongst scenic glacial made inlets
- Enjoy afternoons of fishing for wild pacific salmon with crabbing and prawning as well.
- Sampling local cuisine and drinks made by our onboard chef.
- Hike through island trails to panoramic viewpoints.
- Relax with beach adventures featuring picnics, a water trampoline, and exploring tidepools
- Enjoy excursions to nearby waterfalls such as Chatterbox Falls
Wildlife of Desolation Sound
Wildlife can be spotted on both land and in sea in Desolation Sound, including:
- Orcas and Humpback whales, which are one of the biggest draws to the area.
- Along the shoreline watch for black bears and grizzly bears fishing for salmon.
- Dall's porpoises and harbour porpoises (along with the occasional dolphin) can be seen playing in the water.
- Sea lions and seals who frolic in the calm waters.
- Bald eagles, herons, and other sea birds who soar overhead.
Desolation Sound is a treasure trove and culture and history. Along with the commentary provided by our crew, guests can also:
The Desolation Sound Tour is a perfect 4 days/3 nights adventure for any explorer!
Designed to take you into BC's northern waterways but accessible from major ports, your tour starts and ends in Campbell River.
Offered during the month of August, this trip takes advantage of good weather and calm ocean conditions.
- 4 days/3 nights accommodation aboard the Union Jack
- 3 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 3 Dinners along with snacks and coffee served in between
- Use of on board recreational equipment
- Waterproof gear and excess luggage storage
- Land and water excursions led by our experienced crew.